Renowned for its glitz, glamour and luxury, Acapulco has long been a haven for the rich and famous. This bayside resort town is a paradise for sunbathers and water sport enthusiasts. But there are plenty of other activities to take part in, from sport fishing and bullfights to golf and tennis. Catch the La Quebrada divers, fearlessly launching themselves from cliff-side platforms into the crashing surf below. See where early Tarzan movies were filmed. Row through mangroves, or try your hand at fishing alongside the locals. Shopping options run the gamut from designer malls to open-air markets, including those of nearby Taxco, the silver capital of the world. Acapulco nightlife is legendary, often extending past sunrise with discos, piano bars, and live concerts. Yet Acapulco is also a great destination for children, with attractions such as the CiCi water park, the Mundo Marino aquarium, and the Parque Papagayo, filled with carnival rides, go-karts, roller rinks, skateboard courses and more.
Weather and Geography
Acapulco is located in on the southern Pacific coast of Mexico. Temperatures are tropical and warm year-round. Average summer daytime temperatures are in the 80s – 90s Fahrenheit and average winter daytime temperatures in the 80s Fahrenheit. Brief tropical rains come almost every afternoon during the summer.
- Some of the best nightlife in Mexico can be found in Acapulco. The partying goes on all night at nightclubs located throughout the city.
- Acapulco is the original Mexico beach resort city and was developed in the mid-20 th century. It was immortalized in the 1963 Elvis Presley movie Fun in Acapulco.
Expert Travel Tips
- Ride in one of the horse-drawn carriages that travel along the Costera waterfront drive.
- Traveling with kids? Take them to the Mundo Marino Aquarium after a morning at the beach.
- Check out the beautiful, bronzed cliff divers at La Quebrada, probably the most famous attraction in Acapulco.
- Take a day trip to the nearby town of Taxco to purchase some of the finest silver jewelry in the world at great prices.